Today artists have many opportunities to build a successful business. You will be able to use traditional art marketing and online marketing to share your artwork.
Some people pick one or the other marketing methods. With my first art business, I decided to only market online. It worked well for that niche. My new graphite business I have chosen to use both traditional and online marketing to build the business.
You might use both methods or choose to pick just one of the two strategies.
Understanding both will help you make the best decision for your business.
What is traditional art marketing?
Traditional art marketing is advertising your business using print, audio, or visual mediums.
- Business cards
- Advertisements in newspapers or magazines
- Advertisements on the radio
- Talking one on one
- Television commercials
Some of these marketing strategies might not fit in your budget. There are however some strategies that you can take advantage of that will not break the bank.
Most people do not feel comfortable about self-promoting themselves. It can be done effectively without you sounding like you are trying to land a sale.
To be effective, you will want to design an elevator pitch.
An elevator pitch is an overview of a product, service or an idea. In your case, your elevator pitch will be an overview of your art business and the artwork you sell.
The term “elevator pitch” was created because the overview should take no longer than a ride on an elevator. This is about 30 seconds or less than 150 words.
What are the benefits of an elevator pitch?
- Having an elevator pitch will give you a way to communicate what you do while having the listener wanting more.
- Sitting down and spending time writing an elevator pitch will also help you brand your business.
- It will have you think of everything that you want your business to offer.
- It will give you a clear vision of everything that you would like to achieve for your business.
- You will be able to write a plan to have you reach your business goals.
- You will be able to design a marketing plan by knowing the core values of your business.
- You will be able to write content that will be specific to your audience.
- It will help you find new customers.
- It will help you decide on your pricing, policies and so much more.
Business cards, brochures, and flyers
Business cards, brochures, and fliers are a great way for you to hand something that is tangible to someone who showed interest in your elevator pitch.
They are relatively inexpensive and will allow someone to contact you.
Have a consistent design for the business cards, brochures, and fliers.
What should be on your business cards, brochures, and fliers?
- Your name.
- Business name if it is different then your name.
- Phone number.
- Email address.
- An image of your work.
You want to keep your design clean and appealing. Take some time and think about how you want them to look. They are a reflection of your brand, once they are handed out you cannot change it.
Where can you purchase business cards, brochures, and fliers?
Many online sites offer costume business cards, brochures, and fliers. Do a search and read the reviews and pricing before you decide which one that you would like to use.
You want to look into the quality, pricing, if it is easy to design, how long it takes to receive your order, and if they offer a money back guarantee.
You might also want to check out your local printing businesses.
Purchasing an advertisement on the radio or television might be financially out of reach and not worth the return.
You might find it beneficial to buy advertisements for local schools, churches, or small family owned restaurants. They provide a small block that will be included in fliers and brochures. It will provide local brand awareness along with helping a local business.
Do you use traditional art marketing?
If you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to my free weekly newsletter. I will send you valuable tips that will help build your artist blog and art business.
Join me on: