However, one factor that is often overlooked is the shape of the print. Most artists offer prints in a rectangular format, but square prints can offer several advantages.
- They can be a more efficient use of space, especially when hanging multiple pieces side by side.
- Square photo prints tend to have a more uniform appearance, which can be pleasing to the eye.
- They can be an excellent way to showcase a particular detail or element of a piece.
For these reasons, if you are a professional photographer or an artist, you should consider offering square prints of their artwork.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase by clicking on an affiliate link, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, Skimlinks, SareASale and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
What Is A Square Photo Print
A square art print is a digital or photographic print where the image has been cropped to fit within a square frame. This print type is becoming increasingly popular as more people move away from traditional rectangular prints. There are several reasons for this trend.
Square prints are less expensive than traditional fine art prints because they require less paper.
Square prints are more accessible to mat and frame, saving time and money.
Many people simply prefer the look of a square print.
Square prints are perfect for acrylic blocks and ceramic coasters.
Whether an experienced artist or just starting, a square art print can be a great way to show off your work.
Common Size Square Prints That Sell
It’s no secret that specific sizes of art prints sell better than others. While any size can theoretically sell, specific standards have been popular with buyers.
For example, square prints in standard sizes, such as 8×8, 10×10, or 12×12 prints, are trendy.
This is likely because they are easy to frame and fit well into various spaces. Plus, they tend to be very affordable, which makes them an excellent option for buyers on a budget.
Large format square prints are not as popular but offering them will help you to reach a new group of people.
So if you’re looking to stock your shop with prints that are sure to sell, square prints in standard sizes are a great option.
How To Prepare An Image For A Square Print
In the world of art, no two prints are alike. But regarding square prints, a few general guidelines can help ensure your image is prepared correctly.
First, check the resolution of your image. A resolution of 300 DPI (dots per inch) or higher is best for printing. If your photos are below this resolution, they may appear fuzzy or pixilated when printed.
Next, take a look at the aspect ratio of your image. You’ll want a 1:1 aspect ratio image for a square print. This means that the width and height of the image are equal. If your image has a different aspect ratio, you’ll need to crop it to fit the desired dimensions.
Finally, when preparing your file for print, save it as a high-quality PDF. This will help ensure that your image prints clearly and accurately.
By following these simple guidelines, you can be confident that your square print will turn out just the way you envisioned it.
Tips For Choosing The Right Paper And Inks For Your Prints
As an artist, one of the most important decisions you will make is choosing the right paper and inks for your prints. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to know where to start.
Here are a few tips to help you choose the right paper and inks for your next printing project:
- Consider the type of artwork you will be printing. You will need high-quality paper to handle the job if you are printing detailed or fine art prints. On the other hand, if you are printing more simple artwork or photographs, the lower-quality paper will suffice.
- Pay attention to the weight of the paper. Heavier papers are often sturdier and better able to handle heavy ink coverage. However, they can also be more expensive and challenging to work with. On the other hand, lighter papers are cheaper and easier to use but may not hold up as well over time.
- Choose an acid-free paper if you want your prints to last a long time. Acidic papers will turn yellow and degrade over time, resulting in prints that look dated and old. Acid-free papers, on the other hand, are designed to resist fading making the artwork look newer for longer.
- Inks are just as important as the paper you choose. Some inks are designed for specific paper types, while others are more universal. If you are unsure about what type of ink to use, ask your printer for recommendations.
- If you print squares, make sure the length and width will be exactly the size you want to print. There might be times when you will have to trim the edges of the print.
These tips should help you choose the right paper and inks for your next printing project.
How To Showcase And Sell Your Prints At Art Shows
If you’re a professional artist who sells prints of your work, you may be wondering how to showcase and sell square prints at art shows.
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your square prints:
1. Use a clean, simple frame. A minimalist frame will help your square print stand out and look more professional. Plus, it’s easy to transport and set up at art shows.
2. Hang your square print at eye level. People should be able to easily see your print when they’re walking by, so hanging it at eye level is ideal.
3. Use bright, bold colors. Square prints are often very striking, so use bright, bold colors in your framing and matting. This will help your print stand out against the other work on display.
4. Offer a variety of sizes. Not everyone will want to buy a large print, so offer a variety of sizes for people to choose from. This way, there’s something for everyone’s budget.
5. Explain the process behind your work. People always love to know the story behind a piece of art, so make sure to explain the process behind your square
FAQs About Square Printing For Artists
Q: What is the best paper to use for square printing?
A: The best paper to use for square printing depends on the type of artwork you will be printing. If you are printing detailed or fine art prints, you will need high-quality paper that can handle the job. On the other hand, if you are printing more simple artwork or photographs, a lower-quality paper will suffice.
Q: What is the best ink to use for square printing?
A: The best ink to use for square printing depends on the type of paper you are using. Some inks are designed for specific paper types, while others are more universal. If you are unsure about what type of ink to use, ask your printer for recommendations.
Q: How can I make my square prints last longer?
A: If you want your square prints to last for years, use acid-free paper. Acidic papers will yellow and degrade over time, resulting in prints that look dated and old. Acid-free papers, on the other hand, are designed to resist fading making the artwork look newer for longer.
Q: How do I hang my square print?
A: The best way to hang your square print is at eye level. People should be able to see your print when they’re walking by quickly, so hanging it at eye level is ideal. You can also use a clean, simple frame to help your print stand out.
Q: Do Square Canvas Prints Sell Well?
For a good reason, canvas prints have become extremely popular in recent years. They offer a high-quality printing option that is both affordable and long-lasting. Plus, they are easy to hang and can be customized to fit any space.
When it comes to canvas prints, square prints are trendy. They offer a clean, modern look that can be hung in various ways. Plus, they can be easily grouped to create a statement wall.
If you are an artist looking to sell your work, square canvas prints are a great option. Not only do they look great, but they are also easy to ship and package. As a result, you can reach a wider audience and sell more prints overall.
Related Post – How To Print Artwork On Canvas
Square prints are becoming increasingly popular, especially among artists and photographers. They offer a unique way to showcase your work and can be sold at art shows and online. It is important to use high-quality paper and ink to get the best results and choose the right frame for your print.
Follow these tips to create beautiful square prints that stand out from the competition.