How To Sell Greeting Cards
Over the years sending physical greeting cards became a thing of the past. However, many events and milestones are still worthy of physical cards, and recipients feel far more special when they receive one.
Birthday cards, graduation cards, thank you cards, wedding cards, and anniversary cards are still popular.
When it comes to purchasing greeting cards, you will find two groups of people:
- People who look at the front of the card
- People who read the card
Greeting cards show the recipient that you are thinking about them and care about them.
There are three types of cards you can design:
You can also design notecards with just your artwork on the front.
The notecards have always been a hit for me at the local craft fairs.
- How To Sell Greeting Cards
- How To Print Greeting Cards
- Where To Sell Cards Offline
- How To Sell Cards Online
- More Platforms For Selling Handmade Cards
- Sell Cards On Print On Demand Sites
- Top Selling Greeting Cards
- How Do You Price Handmade Greeting Cards
- Final Thoughts On Printing Greeting Cards To Sell
How To Print Greeting Cards
Four options for printing greeting cards:
- Print them yourself
- Use a local printing service
- Use an online printing service
- Use a print on demand service
When I first start selling greeting cards, I would use a print on demand service, but as my notecards became more popular at craft shows, I decided to invest in a printer and print them before the shows.
For more information about printers, visit 5 Best Printers For Art Prints.
The profit margin is much higher, printing your cards at home after paying off the printer.
Local and online printing services will be the right choice if you are selling many greeting cards.
Most local printing services have a specific quantity you have to purchase.
You might be better off with an alternative solution if you don’t think you can sell the greeting cards required to purchase from a local printing shop.
Search for Vista promo codes and Moo promo codes to save money on the prints before purchasing.
The positive with using a print on demand service is that there are no upfront costs, and they will fulfill the order and ship the product directly to the buyer.
Where To Sell Cards Offline
There are two ways that you make money printing cards to sell.
The first way is to sell the greeting cards and notecards offline at:
Local craft fairs and art shows – Like I have mentioned earlier, note cards have always been a hit at the local craft fairs I participated in.
Offering a lower-cost item like greeting cards draws a broader audience to the table.
Not everyone attending craft fairs can afford an original painting or drawing but would love to have your art on a notecard or giclee print.
Consignment at local shops – Small local shops will often allow local artists to sell greeting cards and notecards on consignment.
House Parties – Selling note cards and greeting cards at an open house party often works well during the holidays.
Invite all of your friends and family who have a passion for your artwork and hoast a greeting card house party.
How To Sell Cards Online
How to sell handmade greeting cards online:
- Sell cards on your website
- Sell cards on Etsy
- Sell cards on print on demand sites
Selling greeting cards is similar to learning how to sell art prints online.
Sell Greeting Cards On Your Website
Uploading your handmade cards on WooCommerce is the same as uploading your original artwork.
- How To Install WooCommerce On A WordPress Artist Website
- How To Add And Manage Products In WooCommerce
- How To Add WooCommerce WordPress Categories
Cost Associated With Selling Cards On A Website:
- Cards and craft supplies
- Hosting fees
- Payment gateway fees
There are online website builders available like Shopify and Weebly that make it easy to open an e-commerce site if you are not interested in owning a WordPress site.
For more information on the most popular website builders, visit 16 Website And Website Builders For Artists.
Differences between WordPress and website builders:
- Website builders offer limited themes and widgets, which makes it difficult to brand the platform.
- Website builders have a monthly fee, unlike WordPress (You will only have to pay for hosting and a domain name for WordPress.)
- WordPress has all of the tools you will need to modify your site as your business grows.
- WordPress has a blogging platform that will drive traffic to your site.
Advantages Of Owning A Website
- You own the website, which allows you to have total control of the site’s look and feel.
- Hosting and domain name fees are very affordable, even if you are just starting.
- There are thousands of free and premium themes available for branding your online business.
- Thousands of free and premium plugins available that will allow you to add specific features to your site.
- Build a customer base by collecting email addresses.
Popular Hosting Services:
Selling Greeting Cards On Etsy
There are numerous platforms you can use to sell handmade cards and greeting cards with art.
Etsy is an option if you are not interested in owning a website or paying monthly fees associated with an e-commerce solution.
Starting an Etsy shop is free.
However, there is a $0.20 listing fee for four months or until the product has been sold.
There is also a 5% transaction fee and a 3% + $0.25 payment processing fee when an item is sold.
Etsy’s fees are very reasonable, but if you find that you are starting to sell a lot of your handmade greeting cards, the charges will start adding up, and you might find it more cost-efficient to own a WordPress website.
For tips about selling art and crafts on Etsy visit:
- Selling Art On Etsy: What You Need To Know
- How To Sell Art Prints On Etsy With Printful
- How To Sell Art On Etsy And Make Money
Some Costs Associated With Handmade Cards:
- Blank cards
- Rubber stamps
- Shipping materials
Costs Associated Printing Original Art On Cards:
- Shipping materials
- Printing costs if outsourced
Note: The costs above are just a guide and may or may not be the only costs associated with making cards.
More Platforms For Selling Handmade Cards
Below are some other platforms you can use to sell your cards.
The fees will vary between each platform, so make sure you research the costs and terms and conditions before creating an account.
Sell Cards On Print On Demand Sites
Print on demand services are becoming more popular for artists and photographers due to the rise in online art sales.
Some POD platforms allow you to decide what you would like to charge per each item while others give you a set percentage of each sale.
Review the commissions for each site to see what works best for you.
Popular Print On Demand Sites That Sell Greeting Cards:
Advantages Of Selling Cards On Print-on-Demand Sites
- No upfront costs: You only pay a fee when an item is sold and processed.
- No shipping: POD sites ship the product after processing the order.
- No questions from customers: POD sites handles all customer questions.
- No payment hassles: Pod sites handle all payments and pay the designers commissions for each sale.
Top Selling Greeting Cards
Doing some research about the card market is important if you want to have a chance making money selling cards online and offline.
What Greeting Cards Sell The Most
- Birthday cards
- Wedding cards
- Anniversary cards
- Christmas cards
- Valentine’s Day cards
- Mother’s Day cards
- Father’s Day cards
- Graduation cards
This list is a guide for deciding what type of cards you might want to create.
Like I have mentioned earlier, creatine notecards with images of my artwork sell very well at local craft fairs but they do not sell as well online.
How Do You Price Handmade Greeting Cards
The market and your name recognition will determine the price you set for your cards.
The price of greeting cards ranges from $0.99 – $10.
The average price is $4 – $6 per card.
If you are a well-known artist selling art at art shows, you can charge more than if you are new to selling art and greeting cards.
Before setting a price for your greeting cards, do some research and visit some local shops and craft fairs to see what other artists are charging.
The information you gather will give you a good idea of what people are willing to spend in your area.
Final Thoughts On Printing Greeting Cards To Sell
Selling greeting cards and note cards with prints of your original artwork is a great way to supplement your income.
We covered many different options on how to create greeting cards and places you can sell your handmade cards.
Go through all of the options to determine the best solution for you and your art goals.
When you are pricing your cards, make sure you know the profit margin for each card sold.
Add all of the costs associated with creating a card and minus that from the selling price.
The number you get will be the profit (how much money goes into your pocket.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- How To Be An Artist Without Going To Art School
- What An Artist Blog Needs To Increase Art Sales
- How To Create A Social Media Marketing Calendar
- How To Choose Art Instagram Names For Creatives
- How Artists Can Save Time Marketing Art Online With Canva
Popular Art Marketing And Sales Tutorials
Below are some of the most famous art marketing courses that will grow your online art business:
Most Popular – How to Make a Living Selling What You Make by Megan Auman
Most Popular – Build a Successful Creative Blog by April Bowles-Olin
How to Build a Business While Learning Your Craft by Megan Auman
Pinterest Marketing for Makers & Designers by Megan Auman
You can also join me on:
Learn how to start, grow, and monetize your online art business.
Art Business Planners