Successful blogging As A Working Artist
Do you want to increase your art sales and make more money? Are you an artist who wants a creative outlet but doesn’t have the time or energy to maintain a blog?
You are in luck. This detailed blog post will discuss why it is important for artists to blog about their work, blogging can help boost art sales, and how blogs drive traffic to artist websites. We will also cover some basic SEO tips that will help your blog rank higher on Google.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase by clicking on an affiliate link, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, Skimlinks, SareASale and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
What Is A Blog And Why Should I Have One
A blog is a website that publishes articles or entries in reverse chronological order.
A blog can be personal, with just you writing about your own life experiences and thoughts. It can be professional, where the author discusses their expertise around a particular topic.
Blogs are often used as online diaries, but they also serve other purposes such as acting as an RSS feed for updates on websites and services (ex: new artwork releases), social networking sites like Facebook, forums to discuss topics of interest to members of a common group (ex: blogging groups), and even more specific uses like documenting company policies.
Blogs allow artists to promote their creations and share their art journey with the world. Still, they also present a unique opportunity to promote their other creative endeavors and business ventures.
Why Blogging Is Important For Artists
It can be difficult for artists to earn a living wage from their art skills.
It is important to keep in mind that blogging as an artist will help you connect with other artists and provide more opportunities for success. Blogging helps build your online presence, increasing traffic on your website through search engine optimization (SEO). This means increased potential for art sales.
What Is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting how well a web page ranks in search engines like Google or Bing by using words or phrases that people are likely to enter into those sites’ respective search boxes when looking for information about this topic. The effects may vary from the niche you are marketing.
How To Start An Art Blog
The first step is to decide on a blogging platform. You should choose something that you are familiar with and don’t have to worry about forgetting how to use it later on in the process.
What’s The Best Blogging Platform?
WordPress is a top-rated blogging platform, but there are many to choose from. Many artists use WordPress because it is easy to create an online art gallery and have a blogging platform all on one site. The costs of a WordPress site will vary depending on the features that you want as well, but you can get started as low as 3.95/Month with BlueHost.
There are also free platforms like blogger or tumble, making for great alternatives. The negative is that you will be limited with what you can do with a free blogging platform, and most free blogging platforms will not have an option for you to sell products.
The right blogging platform for an artist depends on how they want to present their work and what features are important. Take some time to write down your art business goals to make the best decision for your future.
While any blogging site is suitable, some may be more immersive than others depending on the type of post you’re looking to create.
The hardest part of starting an art blog is deciding what platform you will be using. Writing blog posts is as easy as posting a Facebook post. All you have to do is write content that will attract your target audience, add some images and hit publish.
Blogging Tips For Working Artists
One problem working artists face is the lack of time to get all of the jobs done during the day to continue to grow their fanbase. An artist blog takes time and dedication, but if you learn how to manage your time, you will find that dedicating time to blogging is a great way to grow your following and get all of those jobs done.
Here are some tips to help you get the most from your art blogging.
The easiest way for you to get more done in less time is to get organized.
Write a weekly schedule, write a daily to-do list and make sure all the tools you use for your art business are organized and put away at the end of the day.
Plan For The Week
Every Sunday, write what you would like to achieve for the upcoming week.
Write a schedule and a to-do list that complement your goals.
- Creating new art
- The content you will be writing for your art blog
- Posting on Facebook and Twitter
- Scheduling Pinterest Pins on Tailwind
- Schedule time for packaging and shipping sold art
Most successful blog sites publish blog posts on a regular schedule.
A consistent publishing schedule will help you build a loyal audience and drive new traffic to your site.
The more traffic you drive to your artist’s website, the more art you will sell.
Decide what days you will be publishing new content and make it a priority to get the job done.
When Are You Most Productive
Everyone has different priorities and different times they are the most productive for specific tasks.
It would be best to find out what time of the day you will be most productive for writing your art blog posts.
The best time for you might be early in the morning, or it might be at night when everyone has gone to bed.
Discover when you will have the easiest time writing. The last thing you will want is to waste valuable time because you can not focus.
Your goal is to turn on your computer, write your post, turn off your computer and get on with your life.
Tips On How To Make Money From Your Art Blog
If you have not noticed already, a successful artist has many income streams relating to their art business like selling original paintings, selling fine art prints, offering commission work, and more.
You might be here to learn how to start a blog so that you can sell art online, but did you know that there are many ways art bloggers generate extra income from their blog posts?
Here are some ways you can earn money blogging:
– You can offer your blog posts for sale in the form of an ebook.
– If you have a popular blog, companies will pay to advertise on it. For example, if you own a food and lifestyle blog about vegan recipes with 1000 visitors per day, some advertisers would be interested in sponsoring your content or having their products mentioned on your site.
– Some artists use blogging to find new clients by connecting with people through social media and commenting on other blogs and websites related to art or design discussion topics like exhibitions at museums or current trends. This is called link building which helps search engine ranking when someone types “artist name” into Google’s search bar. It also leads them.
-Monetizing blog posts with ads is an easy way to earn money. The more people who visit a blog post, the more money the blogger will earn.
-Affiliate links can generate money by linking to art products you use for your art projects.
-Crowdfunding can also be a great way to earn money, and this is the easiest type of art funding because many platforms will host an artist’s campaign for free or with minimal fees like Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Patreon, etc.
-The most important part about blogging as an artist is making sure you stay true to yourself and share what inspires you rather than trying to please others by posting content they might prefer over your authentic work.
Blogging Tips To Generate Traffic
- Create a blog post that is relevant to your art field.
- Include videos, images, or gifs of the project you are blogging about to engage readers and make it easier for them to understand what they will be learning from reading your blog posts.
- Use keywords when writing posts so search engines can easily index your content and help your articles get found by people interested in the subject matter.
- Learn who your target audience is to write content that they will appreciate and resonate with them.
- Utilize social media to promote your blog posts by sharing links on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- Work on building your email list. Promote all of your blog posts on newsletters you sent to your email group.
- Help readers by sharing your knowledge about art
- Publish blog posts consistently. The more posts you have, the easier it will be for me art collectors to discover you online.
- Create in-depth content about the topic you are writing about.
- Write stories about your art journey. Your blog readers want to learn more about the artist that creates the artwork they admire.
- Be patient. You will not see a spike in traffic after publishing one blog post. It takes time for search engines to rank blog posts.
Basic SEO Tips For Blogging
- Use keywords
- Provide accurate meta titles and descriptions
- Have optimized images for blog posts (must be at least 1920×1080 pixels)
- Include a sitemap of your website on Google Search Console.
- Use alt tags for images. Use captions on photos that include relevant text for the photo to be indexed by search engines.
- Don’t stuff the content with keywords. Instead, use keywords naturally throughout your content.
- Include a link back to your website in every blog post with appropriate anchor text so you can rank higher when people share it online.
- Include inbound links to blog posts on other websites that are relevant to your content.
Successful Blogging Conclusion
Successful Blogging takes time, but if it’s done right then, it could provide financial security in addition to creative fulfillment while working artists pursue their career goals.
More Related Articles About Blogging
Starting a blog has never been easier with hosting services like BlueHost and platforms like WordPress. The problem many artists face is the challenge of increasing blog traffic. You might have been told that the more blog posts you publish the more traffic your art blog … [Read more…]
There is no questioning that blogging is an essential tool for building a successful online art business. Per Hubspot, 72% of marketers say relevant content creation was the most effective SEO tactic. Blogging is the most valuable tool for any … [Read more…]
It was easier for artists to have people visit their art websites in the early 2000s. The main reason is that there were not as many art websites on the internet. All an artist would have to do is write a keyword-rich art title for the listing … [Read more…]