Decorative ceramic tiles can make stunning wall art, but the challenge is hanging them on the wall to be safe. The good news is that there are a few different options for hanging your favorite wall tiles.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase by clicking on an affiliate link, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, Skimlinks, SareASale and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
Hanging Ceramic With Adhesive Backing
Ceramic tiles with adhesive backing can be securely mounted onto the wall. Peel the protective covering from the adhesive and firmly press your tiles in place. However, most decorative tiles do not have an adhesive backing.
If your art tile does not have an adhesive backing, you can use Bondera Tile Mat Set 12 in. x 10 ft. Backsplash Roll for Tile.
Bondera is a high-performance pressure-sensitive adhesive for wall and tabletop tile installations.
- Cut a piece of Bonera to fit the ceramic tile.
- Place the tile on a towel to protect the art and firmly place the Bondera on the back of the tile.
- Remove the protective covering and press the tile on the wall.
An adhesive is a good choice if the area you hang your wall art will be permanent. If you plan to move your ceramic wall till and display it in a different room, you will want another option.
Hanging Ceramic Tile With Picture Hangers
The second method is to add a picture hanger to the back of the ceramic wall tile.
- Cut the cork to size with the rotary cutter.
- Place the tile art side down on a cloth for protection.
- Apply E6000 glue as directed on the tile, hook, and cork.
- Place the hook on the top middle of the tile.
- Place the cork over the hook and move the cork to place.
- Place a heavy book on the cork and let dry.
Hanging Ceramic Tile With Sawtooth Hangers
Another option is to apply a metal sawtooth hanger on the back of the tile.
Depending on the object’s weight, you might need one or two sawtooth hangers.
- Place the decorative tile face down on a towel.
- Place a dab of glue as directed to each end of the sawtooth hanger.
- Center the hook to the top middle closer to the top edge. (If using two hooks, place one hook on the top right and the other on the top left.)
- Firmly place the glued hooks and let them dry for 24 hours.
- Hammer a small nail into the wall at an upwards angle and hang your tile on the nail.
How To Clean Ceramic Tile Art
Knowing how to care for your art tile will protect them for years to come. Read How To Care For Decorative Ceramic Art Tiles to learn how to care for your collection.
Selling Ceramic Art Tiles
Many professional artists find that selling art tiles is a great way to make a living.
Tiles are a popular decorative item, and they provide a way for people to enjoy art in their everyday lives. Because of their small size, art tiles are also relatively affordable, making them a good option for people who want to support artists but may not be able to afford a traditional painting or sculpture. In addition, art tiles can be used in various ways, including as part of a backsplash or as accents in a fireplace surround.
As a result, selling art tiles provides artists with an opportunity to reach a wide range of potential customers.