Are you interested in selling art online but do not know where to start? In this post, you will discover the best artist website platform for selling art.
Best Artist Website Platform for Selling Art
When I started selling art in 2002 my options were limited. I started selling on eBay then went on to have a website built for my business.
The cost of the website was almost 5,000 and I didn’t have the ability to edit the menus or look of the site without paying the company who created the site to make any adjustments. I was happy with the site but I was frustrated because I wanted to be able to edit the site as my business grew.
Today there are multiple softwares available like WordPress that make it easy for anyone to build a professional website and blog at a reasonable price. Anyone can build a website in just minutes even if they are not “tech savvy”.
Another change that has happened over the past fifteen years is the ability to build brand awareness with social media. All you need is an artist website and a couple social media business accounts and you could be selling your art to people around the world.
Artist Website Platform Options
There are two different types of artist website platforms available, free blogging platforms and websites (blogs) that you own.
Here are some of the most common free blogging platforms:
These options are great for the hobbyist but if you are interested in a platform where you can build a unique brand for your online art business, you will want to strongly consider owning your website (blog).
Free Website Platform Negatives
- Free website and blogging platforms offer a limited amount of templates that you can use.
A template (theme) is the layout of a page or pages which will give you the look and feel of your artist website (blog).
- Most free services have advertisements on them.
- There will be rules on what you can post or not post.
- You will not have a unique domain name. A domain name is the address of your website, for example, www.nevuefineartmarketing.com is the address for my marketing website.
- The main reason that you will not want to use a free service for your business website is that there is no guarantee how long they will be in operation.
They are a business and if they are not making enough revenue they will shut down. Everything that you have worked for will be lost forever. You will be starting from scratch.
I have heard stories of bloggers that had 1,000s of articles on a free service wake up one morning and find that their articles and site are no longer available. I cannot even begin to imagine what they were feeling at that time.
Free Website Platform Negative Overview:
- You do not own it.
- They have the right to cancel your account without notice.
- Limited templets.
- Advertisements for their benefit.
- Might not have an option for a unique domain name.
- Difficult to monetize.
- They could go out of business.
Benefits of owning an artist website:
- Full control to be able to brand your business
- Full control of the content you can provide
- Full control of monetization
- Professional look and feel
- Email marketing
Artist Website Services
WordPress – WordPress is the most used blogging platform on the internet. It can also be used to build a business website.
- With thousands of templates and plugins, you will be able to brand your site exactly the way that you envision. Many templates offer beautiful galleries and slideshows that will showcase your artwork.
- Add payment plans if you wish to sell your work online.
- Offer tutorials with a membership option.
- Sell digital goods.
- Plugins like Social Warfare make it easy for your audience to share your posts.
- StudioPress Themes and other premium themes available to choose from.
- Plugins like OptinMonster make it easy for your audience to sign-up for your newsletter.
Here are a few tutorials I put together to help you learn more about your WordPress website.
WordPress SEO Basics eBook
WordPress SEO Basics Online Video Course
Other Website Building Platform options are:
There are many options available for you to build an online art gallery.
However, if you are interested in selling your art online I recommend using a platform that most online businesses are using, WordPress.
WordPress Benefit Overview:
- Thousands of plugins available.
- Thousands of themes.
- Easy to sell products.
- Professional look.
- Thousands of tutorials available to help you with any problem that might arise.
If you are ready to start your WordPress site visit BlueHost for affordable hosting and a one-click easy WordPress installation.
Do you have a WordPress Art Gallery?
Let me know in the comment section below.
You might also be interested in:
- Where to Sell Art Online – How to Get Started
- 7 Essential Tips on How to Sell Paintings Online
- How to Build Professional Art Websites
- What Kind of Art Sells Best – Art Selling Tips
- How to Promote Your Art Online with YouTube
Did you enjoy this article? Don’t forget to sign up for my free weekly newsletter.
You can also join me on:
Learn how to start, grow and monetize your online art business.
Art Business Planners
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission.. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
Are you ready to start building an online presence?
Take the challenge and join all of the other artists selling their art online.
By Dave Nevue
The right mindset and time management skills are essential for any business. These topics are often not talked about but are key elements for your success. You will learn how to have a winning mindset and time management skills necessary for operating a successful art business.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links on this post are affiliate links and will be clearly marked as so. I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you choose to purchase through those links. I will only recommend products I have used, found helpful to my business and are companies I trust.