Are you interested in selling art online but do not know where to start? In this post, you will discover the best artist website platform for selling art.
Best Artist Website Platform for Selling Art
When I started selling art in 2002 my options were limited. I started selling on eBay then went on to have a website built for my business.
The cost of the website was almost 5,000 and I didn’t have the ability to edit the menus or look of the site without paying the company who created the site to make any adjustments. I was happy with the site but I was frustrated because I wanted to be able to edit the site as my business grew.
Today there are multiple softwares available like WordPress that make it easy for anyone to build a professional website and blog at a reasonable price. Anyone can build a website in just minutes even if they are not “tech savvy”.
Another change that has happened over the past fifteen years is the ability to build brand awareness with social media. All you need is an artist website and a couple social media business accounts and you could be selling your art to people around the world.
Artist Website Platform Options
There are two different types of artist website platforms available, free blogging platforms and websites (blogs) that you own.
Here are some of the most common free blogging platforms:
These options are great for the hobbyist but if you are interested in a platform where you can build a unique brand for your online art business, you will want to strongly consider owning your website (blog).
Free Website Platform Negatives
- Free website and blogging platforms offer a limited amount of templates that you can use.
A template (theme) is the layout of a page or pages which will give you the look and feel of your artist’s website (blog).
- Most free services have advertisements on them.
- There will be rules on what you can post or not post.
- You will not have a unique domain name. A domain name is the address of your website. For example, www.nevuefineartmarketing.com is the address for my marketing website.
- The main reason that you will not want to use a free service for your business website is that there is no guarantee of how long they will be in operation.
They are a business, and if they are not making enough revenue they will shut down. Everything that you have worked for will be lost forever. You will be starting from scratch.
I have heard stories of bloggers that had 1,000s of articles on a free service waking up one morning and finding that their articles and site are no longer available. I cannot even begin to imagine what they were feeling then.
Free Website Platform Negative Overview:
- You do not own it.
- They have the right to cancel your account without notice.
- Limited templets.
- Advertisements for their benefit.
- It might not have an option for a unique domain name.
- Difficult to monetize.
- They could go out of business.
Benefits of owning an artist website:
- Full control to be able to brand your business
- Full control of the content you can provide
- Full control of monetization
- Professional look and feel
- Email marketing
Artist Website Services
WordPress – WordPress is the most used blogging platform on the internet. It can also be used to build a business website.
- With thousands of templates and plugins, you will be able to brand your site exactly the way that you envision. Many templates offer beautiful galleries and slideshows that will showcase your artwork.
- Add payment plans if you wish to sell your work online.
- Offer tutorials with a membership option.
- Sell digital goods.
- Plugins like Social Warfare make it easy for your audience to share your posts.
- StudioPress Themes and other premium themes are available to choose from.
- Plugins like OptinMonster make it easy for your audience to sign-up for your newsletter.
WordPress Dashboard Guide eBook
WordPress SEO Basics eBook
WordPress SEO Basics Online Video Course
Other Website Building Platform options are:
Related Post – 16 Best Artist Website Builders
There are many options available for you to build an online art gallery.
However, if you are interested in selling your art online, I recommend using a platform that most online businesses use, WordPress.
WordPress Benefit Overview:
- Thousands of plugins are available.
- Thousands of themes.
- Easy to sell products.
- Professional look.
- Thousands of tutorials are available to help you with any problem that might arise.
If you are ready to start your WordPress site, visit BlueHost for affordable hosting and a one-click easy WordPress installation.
Do you have a WordPress Art Gallery?
Let me know in the comment section below.
You might also be interested in: