Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase by clicking on an affiliate link, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, Skimlinks, SareASale and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
Best Scanners For Artwork
Digital painting is becoming more popular with artists. However, for artists who are still drawing on paper or painting on canvas, an art scanner makes it possible for graphite artists, colored pencil artists, and pastel artists to share their creations with people online without losing the main essence vividness of the artwork.
Are you interested in sharing images that represent your drawings online?
Many different scanners are available with a high scan resolution and amazing features, making it difficult for artists to choose the best scanner for their business goals.
NFAM did some research and came up with a list of some of the most popular art scanners artists are using today to share their art online and use the images for printing giclee prints.
Best Art Scanner For Graphite Drawings
These drawings by Dave Navue are some examples of graphite drawings scanned on the Epson Perfection V600.
The Epson Perfection V600 captures every pencil stroke without losing the delicate values of a greyscale drawing. The Epson Perfection V600 captures the vivid and vibrant colors of pastel paintings.
For the money NFAM recommends the Epson Perfection V600 for artists.
- 6400 x 9600 resolution
- High-Quality photo editing software that allows you to edit your image before it scans.
- Perfect for scanning graphite, watercolors, pastels, and smaller oil and acrylic paintings.
- Vivid reproductions up to 17″ x 22″
- DIGITAL ICE® for both film and prints
More High-quality Art Scanners
Just like digital cameras, scanners have come along way and the prices have become more affordable.
Below are some more popular art scanners artists are using.
The Canon CanoScan LiDE220 is compact and is one of the slimmest scanners I am talking about today.
This scanner is perfect for dorm rooms or small offices.
The resolution is less than the Epson Perfection V600 but still provides a quality scan at 4800 x 4800 dpi.
- Slim and compact
- 4800 x 4800 dpi
- USB powered
- 10-second scans
The Epson Perfection V370 has a lower resolution than the Epson Perfection V600 but still a little better than the Canon CanoScan LiDE220 with 4800 x 9600 dpi.
- Great value for the price
- 4800 x 9600 dpi
- Represents accurate color
- ReadyScan® Technology for fast scans and no warmup time
The Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII is a strong competitor to the quality of the Epson Perfection V600 art scans and is arguably the best scanner for artwork.
This fine art scanner has 9600 x 9600 dpi, and is sure to produce the clearest, high-quality scan of your artwork.
- 9600 x 9600 dpi
- 48-bit color depth
- Output Grayscale: 48-bit internal/16-bit (film scanning only)/8-bit output
- FARE Level 3 technology that ensures what you scan will no get effected by dust
- 7-second scans
The Epson Perfection V39 is popular with students and studios with limited space. The small design with a built-in kickstand for vertical placement makes it perfect for saving space. Even though it has a small design it still scans high quality images with a 4800dpi optical resolution. Another feature that is popular with artists is the removable lid making it possible to scan larger sketches.
- Resolution 4800 x 4800 dbi
- Built-in kickstand for vertical placement
- Easy to use buttons for quick scans
- Advanced digital dust correction
- USB powered – AC adaptor not required
Final Thoughts On Art Scanners
These are some of the best scanners for artists that are available and the best news is that they are affordable.
Once you start selling fine art prints of your original artwork you will be able to cover the costs of your new art scanner.
How To Sell Art prints
Now that you have a high-quality scanner, you will want to invest in a quality art printer.
- There are a few different ways you can sell your art prints online.
- Print your prints at home and sell them on your artist website and local craft fairs.
- Get prints made at your local print shop and sell them on your website and local craft fair.
- Use a print on demand site to print and ship your art prints and be paid royalties from the sales.
Here are some articles to help get you started selling fine art prints.
- How To Price Art Prints
- Limited Edition Giclee Prints – Fine Art Prints What Is The Difference
- How To Sell Your Art Prints Online
- POD Websites How To Increase Art Sales
- Print On Demand Sites For Artists – What You Should Know
- How To Sell Art Prints On Etsy With Printful
- How To Sell Art Prints Online And Make Money
Best Art Scanner For Graphite Artists
Do you use a scanner that is not listed here? Let us know in the comment section below.