Are you thinking about starting an art blog? There are a few things that you will need to know before you get started. You will have to decide between a hosted and a self-hosted site for your art blog.
Hosted vs Self Hosted for Art Blog
What is CMS?
CMS is a content management system is a computer application that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, organizing, deleting as well as maintenance from a central interface. Such systems of content management provide procedures to manage workflow in a collaborative environment.
Does CMS cost money?
There are two CMS options to select from. There is a hosted option that is free and a self-hosted option that you do have to pay for. I will discuss them in more detail to help you decide what will be best for you.
A hosted option is a blog platform that you use almost like a social network site. In other words, you create your account and “sign in” to another website and from there; you’ll then be able to add new posts for other users to see. The platform is already hosted somewhere online. This will be free to get started, and you will not have to pay for a hosted account.
Pros and Cons for Hosted Sites:
- It is free. If you are just starting out, or you are on a tight budget, this would be a great place to start.
- Easy to get started. Most hosted sites are user-friendly. You will just need to sign up and start writing. They might offer some templates that you can choose from, but they will be limited.
You will not need to have a lot of experience to launch a post and publish content. Uploading photos and videos are also an easy task.
- The URL has the name of the free blog site included in it. This makes it look less professional and is harder to remember for the visitor.
http://yourname.blogspot.com vs. http:yourname.com
- Free sites offer templates, but they are limited. You might find it hard to find exactly what you are looking for. If you already have a brand, you probably will not be able to match it making it look less professional.
- Another negative with the hosted site that is arguably one of the most important relates to SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Your SEO efforts might not work as well with a hosted site compared to a self-hosted site. This means that your content might not be found. Most people who search for something on the internet never go past the first page. It is critical for your rankings to be high if you want traffic to your blog.
There are other options to share your content besides ranking on Google first page. It will take a lot more effort to see some results.
Here are a few Hosted Options:
WordPress Hosted (www.wordpress.com)
WordPress Self-Hosted (www.wordpress.org)
A Self-hosted blog platform means that you will have to pay for the hosting space and domain name that you will need for your blog.
Here are some pros and cons for the self-hosted options:
- Most people who use a self-hosted platform use WordPress for their art blog or website. Because WordPress is so well known and used there are endless options for building your art blog. You will be able you create a brand for your art blog without being limited to a few options.
- There are plugins and widgets that will help you with SEO. You can even monetize your art blog with these plugins. There are even plugins that will help people share your content.
Bottom line you are in total control of the look and performance of your site.
- WordPress is free but you will have to pay for a hosting provider and a domain name.
Here are some of the top Web Hosting Sites
What are your thoughts about hosted vs self-hosted sites to start your art blog?
Do you need help starting and building your art business? I would love to help and coach you through your journey. Start off with the FREE course “How to Write Goals.”
Visit Nevue Fine Art Marketing Courses. Courses are being added monthly.