If you’re an artist looking to sell your work online, you’ll want to read this article. It provides seven tips to help you make the most of your efforts and maximize your success.
If you’re an artist and want to sell your paintings online, you’ll want to read this article. It has seven tips to help you make the most of your efforts and be successful.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase by clicking on an affiliate link, Nevue Fine Art Marketing may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate relationships include, but are not limited to, Bluehost, Tailwind, Skimlinks, SareASale and StudioPress. To learn more visit Affiliate Link Disclosure Policy
This article will cover the following topics:
-What do you need to do before you sell a painting online
-How to set up an online art gallery
-How to price your paintings
-How to market your paintings
-What happens after a painting sells
Each of these topics has implications for artists looking to sell their work online. For example, when pricing your paintings, it’s important to remember that you’re not just competing with other artists in your area or country but with artists worldwide. In fact, according to Statista, “Global online art sales increased significantly in 2020 over the previous year, rising from 4.8 billion U.S. dollars to nearly 7.9 billion U.S. dollars.”
Consider Your Target Audience
A target audience is a group of people you want to buy your paintings. In the online world, you can narrow down your audience based on several factors, such as location, age, gender, education level, and even interests.
The more specific you can be about who your paintings appeal to, the better. When marketing your paintings online, consider every channel customers find out about products and services.
For example, if you’re selling paintings online, consider advertising on art-related websites and forums as well as social media channels that your likely buyers use.
Here are some tips on how to identify your target audience:
1. Know Your Niche – Having a niche will make your life much easier when building a business. If you know what type of people will be interested in buying your product/service, you can make sure that everything is written with them in mind.
2. Know Your Demographics – Knowing where your target audience resides will also help you market your products/services more effectively. Think about the number of locations, age, gender, income level, and interests related to your niche. Also, think about any languages they speak, as this could be a significant factor in reaching them online or through advertising.
3. Use Social Media – Social media platforms are a great way to learn more about your target audience. On Facebook, you can dig into who has liked pages that are related to your niche and who likes advertising posts on the platform. On Twitter, you can get a feel for what type of people are tweeting about things related to your business/service using hashtags.
4. Survey Your Audience – The easiest way to learn more about your customers is to ask them. You can do this through email, your website, social media platforms, or even in person.
5. Check out Competitors’ Target Audiences – Studying your competition’s audience will help you see what is working for them. You will also have a whole idea of your target audience once you’re finished researching their demographics, social media following, purchasing history, and more.
6. Look at Trends – Study trends in your niche to know what is currently popular/desirable. You can use this information to develop creative ways to market your products/services.
Create A High-Quality Portfolio
An online portfolio will prove to be one of your greatest assets for your art business. Not only does it allow you to express yourself creatively through writing, design, and multimedia, but it is also your chance to convey your skills, personality, and passion for creative work. A creative portfolio can make or break any job interview; with this in mind, make sure yours reflects the most professional version of yourself.
Before you begin to put your portfolio together, there are some key things to consider when selecting the medium that works best for you. Each medium has different strengths and weaknesses, so what you choose will depend on what kind of work you’re showcasing, whether images or video, interactive design, or written content.
Once you’ve decided on a medium, there are three key factors to consider: how it looks and feels like a whole, the quality of each piece of work, and its navigation and functionality.
A portfolio can be as simple as some images uploaded to build an online presence or as complex as a fully interactive, multimedia website with text and multimedia from your career. Just make sure that it is easy to navigate, contains all the necessary information about your previous work, and makes a good impression on those looking at it. Remember, you can never have too much quality content.
Price Your Work Fairly
Many artists struggle when it comes time to price their paintings. The price you charge for your painting could be the reason it sells or doesn’t sell. If it’s too high, people may have a hard time buying it; if it’s too low, you’re selling yourself short. One of the essential steps in pricing is to research what you think your work is worth and then double that price. This tactic can help ensure that your products are being sold fairly.
Frequently, artists don’t ask enough for their paintings. Remember that you are the owner of your painting once it is complete. You can charge whatever you feel is suitable for your work. Just because other people have specific prices doesn’t mean that’s what your paintings are worth – especially if they’re not selling. Setting a fair price will help you obtain the highest value possible, which is something every artist should strive for.
Use Social Media To Market Your Work
Social media platforms are an excellent way to share your latest work, show studio updates, or answer questions from fans. Social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter are free ways to promote yourself and your work. These sites draw attention towards you and your products. They can be a great way to market yourself by displaying information about current projects, exhibitions openings/closings, and other relevant information. Some applications can be downloaded on your phone that will allow you to update your fans constantly.
Getting started with social media is easy; visit the sites, create an account, and start writing.
To market yourself, include informative information about your work but don’t forget to throw in some personality, too. Keep your audience engaged by asking questions or following the activities of other users. Use social media to get out there and interact with people interested in what you have to offer.
Be Prepared For Questions From Buyers
Preparing for FAQs potential customers might ask will put you in a better position to answer them when they do come up. This could be something as simple as “How do you frame your work?” or something more specific, like in the case of a commissioned portrait.
Answering these questions in advance will help buyers understand what to expect when they purchase from you, which can help their overall satisfaction with your products and services. You can also use buyer FAQs to promote any specials or sales you are offering.
Ship Paintings Carefully
When shipping paintings, it is essential to consider a few key factors. One of the most important is ensuring that the paintings are properly packed and wrapped to avoid damage during transit. It is also important to include information about the artist and the painting itself and any special instructions for the buyer.
Packing and wrapping your paintings properly is crucial to ensure their safety. You don’t want them to get damaged in transit, which could ultimately lead to a ruined painting and a loss of money for the artist. Including information about yourself and your work is also a good way to market yourself. It lets buyers know who painted the work, where they can find more of your work and any other pertinent information. It might even inspire them to look up your other products.
Last, including any special instructions, will make life easier for the buyer. They need to know how you want the painting framed, hung on a wall, etc. Not having these details can leave many questions unanswered and could deter potential buyers from purchasing one of your pieces.
There are a few key things to remember when selling paintings online:
– Make sure to set a fair price for your work, as this will help you obtain the highest value possible.
– Use social media to market your work, and make sure to include informative information about yourself and your paintings.
– Pack and ship paintings carefully to avoid any damage during transit.
– Include any special instructions for buyers, such as framing or hanging instructions.All of the things we’ve talked about in this article
– pricing paintings fairly, using social media to market your work, packing and shipping them carefully
– are important aspects of being a successful painter.
They all have one common goal: to make sure that buyers are happy with their purchase and that they will be more likely to buy from you again in the future. Following these tips can help you achieve this goal and increase your sales as an artist.
If you’re interested in learning more about selling your paintings online, be sure to check out our other articles on the topic. We have various tips and advice that can help you increase your sales and grow your business.
There are many reasons why artists should start selling their art online. For one, online art sales reached almost 7.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2020, and this number will only grow in the years to come. There are numerous benefits to selling your art online, including reaching a larger … [Read more…]
Imagine you’re a business owner who wants to turn visitors into buyers. You might be wondering why email newsletters are the best way to do this. Here are some reasons: – Email newsletters allow you to reach out to your customers continually – Email newsletters are a great way to build … [Read more…]
The number of active buyers on the Etsy.com platform stood at 81.9 million in 2020. These buyers had bought goods through the platform, showing that Etsy is a valuable resource for online shoppers. To increase your Etsy sales, it’s essential to understand your audience. Research popular … [Read more…]